It’s that time of year in Louisville Kentucky. The 144th running of the Kentucky Derby is just days away! The most exciting 2 minutes in sports is very fun time of year for our city.
There will likely be over 150,000 people at Churchill Downs this Saturday enjoying the horse races. Even more people will be attending Derby parties or enjoying the races from the comfort of their own home. It is very easy to to get caught up in all the hoopla that comes with Derby.
Drinks are flowing and food spreads are full of delicious creations. Many of these creations are likely not the healthiest options unfortunately. A lot of people say they are going to start a diet or get back to exercising after the Derby. Why wait?! There are plenty of options that you can bring to your party that don’t pack nearly as many empty calories. Here are several recipes to consider!
All of these recipes (and more!) can be found on our blog!
• 2 9 oz cans of tuna in water (drained well)
• 2 medium celery stalks, chopped
• 1/4 chopped dill or sweet pickles
• 1/3 cup non fat pain greek yogurt
• 3 green onions, chopped (white and green parts)
• Salt and pepper to taste
1. Dice and chop your cellar, pickles, and green onions.
2. In a large bowl combine tuna, chopped ingredients, greek yogurt, and salt and pepper.
3. Serve as a slider on top of sliced tomatoes and cucumbers or on top of your favorite greens!
Grilled Salmon and Asparagus Skewers
- 1 bunch large Asparagus
- 1 1/2 lbs Salmon filets
- 3 lemons
- 4-8 bamboo skewers
- 2 tbsp chopped oregano (dried or fresh)
- 2 tsp sesame seeds
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp salt
- light cooking spray
1. Lightly coat grill with cooking spray and heat to a medium heat.
2. Prepare your items to be skewered. Cut salmon filets into 1 inch pieces, dice asparagus spears in half, slice lemons thinly.
3. In a small bowl, combine oregano, sesame seeds, cumin, pepper flakes, and salt.
4. Alternating between salmon, lemon slice, and two asparagus cuts, slide the items on the bamboo skewers creating 4 skewers. Depending on the size of your items use two bamboo skewers.
5. Lights spray skewers with cooking spray and sprinkle your dry ingredient mixture evenly over the salmon and asparagus.
6. Place skewers on grill turning every two minutes for 8 – 10 minutes or until salmon is cooked through.
- 1 tablespoon of oil
- 1/2 of a sweet onion
- 1/2 red bell pepper
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon of cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon of dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon of paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1 15 ounce can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 medium zucchinis
- 1 1/2 cups of enchilada sauce
- optional for topping: 1/2-1 cup of vegan cheese
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees F and lightly grease a baking dish.
- Prepare your zucchinis by cutting them in half long ways and gently scooping out most of the inside of the zucchini and discarding. You want it so that the shell of the zucchini is just about 1/4 inch thick once the insides have been removed (see photo).
- In a skillet over medium heat, heat your olive oil and then add in the onion and pepper to sauté for 5 minutes. Add in garlic and spices and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Add in black beans and cook for abour 3 more minutes until the black beans are heated through. Take off of the heat.
- Dividing evenly, spoon the mixture into the zucchinis and place them in the greased baking dish.
- Top the zuchinnis with the enchilada sauce.
- Optional: top with vegan cheese.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes at 400 degrees.
- Let cool slightly and ENJOY!!
Guilt Free Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 cup Whole Wheat Flour
- ½ teaspoons Baking Powder
- ¼ teaspoons Salt
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 3 Tablespoons all natural Honey
- 4 Tablespoons all natural Peanut Butter (try Smart Balance)
- 1 cup unsweetened Applesauce
- 1/2 cups Dark Chocolate Chips
- Pre heat oven to 350 degrees
- In a large mixing bowl combine all ingredients and mix well
- Using light cooking spray, coat a large baking sheet
- Scoop out a small, or large amount of the cookie dough shaping into your cookie.
- Depending on the size of your cookies, bake in the over for 10 – 12 minutes.
- 1 Shot lime juice
- 1 tbs orange juice
- 1 tbs lemon juice
- 1 tbs water
- 1 Shot Tequila
- 1 tbs organic honey
Stir togeather and enjoy!