We are constantly impressed with the power of cauliflower. It’s an excellent substitute for carb heavy dishes. This week, we used shredded cauliflower as a substitute for rice in our delicious “fried rice” recipe. We stayed true to traditional fried rice ingredients but substituted peas for de-shelled edamame to kick up the nutritional value. This recipe is quick, easy and totally guilt free!
1 medium head of cauliflower
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
2 green onions, chopped
2 eggs, organic cage free
1 cup edamame (or peas)
1 cup chopped carrots
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
3 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
1 tablespoon fish sauce (optional)
- Coarsely chop cauliflower into florets, then Shred cauliflower using the largest side of a grater; the end product resembles grains of rice.
- Heat a large sauté pan over medium heat and add olive oil.
- Once pan is heated add minced garlic, then onion to pan. Let cook for a few minutes until golden.
- Add shredded cauliflower in the pan, let cook for a minute, then add carrots and edamame to the mix.
- Add salt, pepper, soy sauce, and fish sauce (optional) to the mixture then cover and let cook for 5 minutes.
- Beat two eggs in a small bowl then create a hole in the middle of the mixture. Add the eggs and scramble.
- Once the eggs are cooked stir into the rest of the mixture.
- Transfer the mixture to serving bowl and add chopped green onion for garnish.
Nutrition Facts (1 Serving Recipe makes 6)
Total Fat: 4.5g
Total Carbs: 11g