Warm up this week with this healthy and easy lasagna recipe!
- 1 box whole wheat lasagna noodles
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- 3 cups chopped zucchini squash
- 3 cups chopped yellow squash
- 1 28-oz can crushed tomatoes
- 15 oz fat free cottage cheese
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup skim milk
- 1 Tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1-2 cups fat free (or part skim) grated mozzarella
In a large saute pan brown the ground turkey over medium heat until almost cooked through. Add the crushed tomatoes, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, crushed red pepper flakes, salt and pepper; stir to combine. Let simmer for about 5 minutes. Meanwhile whisk together the cottage cheese, skim milk, parmesan, and egg. Spray a 9×13 pan with nonstick spray. Remove the tomato sauce from the heat and layer:
- tomato sauce on the bottom
- 1/3 of the lasagna sheets
- 1/3 of the cottage cheese mixture
- 1 cup zucchini squash
- 1 cup yellow squash
Make three layers and top it off with the mozzarella.
Preheat oven to 375. Leaving the foil on, bake at 375 for about 1 hour, then remove the foil and let it bake another 10 minutes or so until the top is bubbly and brown. Let it sit for about 10 minutes before serving.
tips: Don’t just stop with squash! Lasagna is a great dish to add on the vegetables. Try adding a layer of spinach or kale!